[asterisk-users] building a phone

Jon Pounder jonp at inline.net
Fri Feb 27 12:07:57 CST 2009

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>

>> The core of the system is:
>> http://www.marvell.com/products/embedded_processors/kirkwood/index.jsp
>> (yes, also two TDM ports with slics. No idea how to use them)
>>
>> That plug supports running quite a number of Linux distributions
>> (Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, and some others)
>>
>> What would it take me to port Asterisk or Yate to it? An existing web
>> interface?
>>

> You don't want a PBX in it - you want a command-line VoIP client.
>
> I was asking (here and elsewhere) if such a beast existed some time back.
> All I got back was "put asterisk on it and use the OSS/ALSA stuff". Talk
> about using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.. I had a quick look at libiax
> and ran out of time...

this mentality mystifies me too - why would you want a pbx running on a
handset ? ok so you can, but once that novelty wears off in 5secs what
is the practical use ? The only reason would be if you don't have any
other phones, and if you don't why do you need a pbx to start with ?
>> Hackability and ease of development is a must.
>>

> Quite.
>
> Now, way back I have (still have) a Nokia 770 tablet - that runs Gizmo -
> but, again it's a GUI application.
>
> Get a basic OS on the box, get a command-line phone that uses USB audio,
> stick a mini web server for configuration and off you go...

on this subject - any tips on getting gizmo to actually work ? I could
get rings through but no audio or even connecting the call after
ringing, and its on a network where ekiga and grandstream phones work
just fine with no stun or anything like that (network is private ips but
directly routed to the server)