[asterisk-users] building a phone

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Fri Feb 27 11:48:28 CST 2009

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> The core of the system is:
> http://www.marvell.com/products/embedded_processors/kirkwood/index.jsp
> (yes, also two TDM ports with slics. No idea how to use them)
>
> That plug supports running quite a number of Linux distributions
> (Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, and some others)
>
> What would it take me to port Asterisk or Yate to it? An existing web
> interface?

You don't want a PBX in it - you want a command-line VoIP client.

I was asking (here and elsewhere) if such a beast existed some time back.
All I got back was "put asterisk on it and use the OSS/ALSA stuff". Talk
about using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.. I had a quick look at libiax
and ran out of time...

> Hackability and ease of development is a must.

Quite.

Now, way back I have (still have) a Nokia 770 tablet - that runs Gizmo -
but, again it's a GUI application.

Get a basic OS on the box, get a command-line phone that uses USB audio,
stick a mini web server for configuration and off you go...

Gordon