[asterisk-users] DTMF tones mid conversation

stoffell stoffell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 13:10:49 CST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Simon Dixey <simon_qro at hotmail.co.uk>wrote:

>  I wonder if anyone is able to offer any [polite ;-)] words of wisdom??

I can be polite, I'm not sure about the wisdom .. :-)

> DTMF threshold in misdn-init look high doesn't it...  I'm not entirely sure
> what it "should" be set to, to be honest..  (min-max values for tuning);
> have read max value is 100, but others suggest it'll go higher - but what
> exactly is it tuning the sensitivity value of specifically? (i.e. what is
> the threshold value).  DTMF detection works well for *genuine* DTMF digits
> dialled over the ISDN trunk, but mISDN/Asterisk still recognises them
> incorrectly at times during calls (to/from cell phones).

I'm using almost the same setup but I'm in Belgium. Also a b410p. The dtmf
seems to get triggered more by some calls then other. It also depends on the
voice. (higher tones trigger dtmf more easily) My dtmfthreshold is set to
100. Guess it's the (in)sane default ? :-)

Oh, are you having "random" crashes on your mISDN setup too ?

> I've also seen other posts refer to settings in Dahdi.conf (such as
> relaxdtmf) - surely Dahdi doesn't have anything to do with this if I'm using
> chan_misdn??

Correct. Only has anything to do with it if you're using chan_dahdi.
I can't reproduce the same behaviour on dahdi.

> Is anyone able to confirm exactly whether mISDN's hardware DSP and driver
> is responsible for detecting DTMF, or whether it's Asterisk analysing the
> inbound audio?  Scanning the README.misdn (sourced separately) the
> chan_misdn driver readme comments a feature as "DTMF Detection in
> HW+mISDNdsp (much better than asterisks internal!)" - so surely DTMF is
> recognised and passed on by mISDN to Asterisk.  The fact that the log
> messages prefixed by P[ 1] are mISDN - I think I've answered my own question
> there...

Yes, it's mISDN that detects the dtmf.

> Prior to going down the mISDN route, I looked at Dahdi as the Dahdi configs
> mention native Dahdi B410P support.  But, the conclusion I came to (although
> what I read didn't make it clear me) is that the readme was referring to
> Dahdi B410P support in Ast 1.6, not 1.4.  That sound right?  Dahdi readme:

Right again. i've been experimenting with Dahdi's b410p for a while now,
it's only available in asterisk 1.6, with the latest libpri and dahdi
releases.
It's much cleaner, imho, but I'm having issues with receiving faxes when
using dahdi, so I'm stuck with mISDN for the moment :-)

> Enough reading.. if you're still awake!  Any help would be very much
> appreciated.

Nice to see someone else is using the same setup. I was beginning to think
that people with BRI stopped using asterisk in Europe :-)

Keep in touch or post to the mailing list if you have any further
news/experiences..

cheers,
stoffell