[asterisk-users] GSM codec is a good choice ???

Christian Victor christian at victormedia.de
Wed Feb 25 07:10:10 CST 2009

2009/2/25 Alejandro Cabrera Obed <aco1967 at gmail.com>

> But in my case, I don't need trascoding because every chanel is in GSM
> and voicemail has gsm sound files.
>
> And for the moment, my Asterisk is not connected to the PSTN, so there
> is no trascoding gsm-to-PCM or to analog.
>
> So I think gsm is a good choice for my scenario, do you ???

Hi Alejandro!

Just to answer your question clearly: Yes, GSM would be a working option for
your scenario.

If you ever need G711 to connect to ISDN the transcoding should be no
problem for a P4 class system and for example 30 ISDN-Lines.

But what the others want to say is that buying new phones just to avoid
paying for G729 licenses may not be a good idea as the licenses are quite
cheap (US$10 for every transcoding you USE at the same time, NOT for every
phone you have).

I hope that answers your question.

Christian