[asterisk-users] GSM codec is a good choice ???

Kristian Kielhofner kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 18:40:08 CST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Alejandro Cabrera Obed
<aco1967 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all, I have Asterisk 1.4 with SIP. I have a voicemail implemented
> with GSM sound files.
>
> The problem is I have IP phones Utopix HyperPhone 202 which support
> only G.729a/u and G.723.1 high/low, but not GSM.
>
> If I choose G.729A the "pass-throu" calls among users are OK, but
> Asterisk can't transcode GSM to G.729A in voicemail calls.
>
> My company doesn'y want to pay for a G.729 license, so I'm thinking to
> buy new IP phones with GSM support, so I have no problem with the
> voicemail system.
>
> Are the IP phone with GSM support a good choice for me ???
>
> (Maybe in the future I need to connect the Asterisk with the PSTN, GSM
> doesn't matter at this point ???)
>
> Really thanks,
>
> Alejandro

Install the G.729 sound files and make app_voicemail record messages
(format=g729) in G729.  As long as you don't need meetme or a few
other apps that essentially require G.729 transcoding you don't need a
license.

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://blog.krisk.org