[asterisk-users] asterisk -f and restart now

Tue Feb 24 16:08:48 CST 2009

Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:55:40AM +0100, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> If I start Asterisk with -f (do not force) then on "restart now" the
>>> Asterisk process still has the same PID.
>> On 'restart' Asterisk basically re-execs itself. Both with and without -f .
>
> So, if I update Asterisk (make install) is it sufficient to call
> "restart now" or do I have to stop and start Asterisk?

# rasterisk
Connected to Asterisk 1.4.23 currently running on debian (pid = 17191)
samuel*CLI> restart now
samuel*CLI>
Disconnected from Asterisk server
Executing last minute cleanups
Asterisk ending (0).
# rasterisk
Connected to Asterisk SVN-branch-1.4-r178373 currently running on debian
(pid = 17191)

This is interesting: Asterisk is running a new version, but still the
same PID.......

regards
klaus