[asterisk-users] Aastra phones

Greg Kennedy gregkennedy at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 24 12:36:25 CST 2009

> Hi,
>

> I`ve been toying with an Aastra phone (9143i) wondering if it could be a
> good alternative to to the more expensive Polycom phones.
>

> One thing which I can't figure out, although it certainly looks simple, is
> to update the firmware though FTP (not TFTP).  I have set the ftp
> provisioning server in the Aastra phone, and put the firmware file 9143i.st
> in the root folder where the login/password pair ends up. Everything is
> entered correctly, or so it seems (works fine with my Polycoms).
>

> When I reboot the phone from the Web UI, it doesn't seem to take in the new
> firmware.  But it does seem to download the (empty) aastra.cfg file (proving
> that the provisoning server settings are correct).
>

> What am I missing?

The phones by default look for a file called firmware.st, make sure you update the file name in the phone config to grab that 9143.st, or rename the file on your ftp server.

If you are running any modern redhat based linux distro you can also do the following:
yum install tftp-server
edit /etc/xinet.d/tftp
change the enabled=false to true

/etc/init.d/xinetd restart
copy the firmware file to the tftproot directory as defined in the above tftp file, normally /tftpboot and you should be all set.

Hope that helps.

Greg