[asterisk-users] GSM codec is a good choice ???

Eric Wieling, Asteria Solutions Group ewieling at asteriasgi.com
Tue Feb 24 09:56:31 CST 2009

Tiago Durante wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2009/2/24 Alejandro Cabrera Obed <aco1967 at gmail.com>
>>> Thanks for your comment about codecs....I tell you I can't use G.711
>>> because I use a WAN link, and this is a wide band codec.
>>>
>>> Is GSM codec totally free (avoid to pay for any license) ???
>> yes !
>> Is there a WAN between your hardphones and Asterisk ?
>
> GSM is a great and free codec. However if your phones doesn't have it,
> you'll have to buy the g729 licenses...

How much would new phones cost?  If they cost more than $10 each then
you will spend more money by buying new phones rather than buying a G729
license.  Remember G729 is licensed on a per simultaneous channel basis.
  i.e. if you buy 10 licenses you can have up to 10 G729 channels in use
at any one time.  You do not need one license per phone.

--
Eric Wieling * Asteria Solutions Group * Huntsville, AL
Call centers * IVRs * Enterprise PBXs * Conferencing applications
256-705-0277 * http://www.asteriasgi.com/ * sales at asteriasgi.com