[asterisk-users] Managing the spiralling costs

BJ Weschke bweschke at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 05:35:06 CST 2009

Vikas wrote:
> I have been using the inbound 800 services from vitelity. Slowly the
> usage has been rising and in the month of Jan the bill was for $650. I
> am currently on a 1.9 cents a minute plan. Am I paying too much ?
>
> Some suggestions my team generated to reduce the toll free incoming
> call bill were:
>
> 1. When people call in on the 800 number take the local number they
> are calling from and then call them back from our unlimited outgoing
> account from broadvoice.
>
> 2. Find a vendor with a better rate.
>
> Any idea what we can do to better manage the 800 cost.
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Vikas

 As far as a better rate, that really depends where your callers are coming from. If they're calling in primarily from off-net areas, you'll find that $0.019/min as a blended rate is actually fairly competitive and your provider is probably losing money on your business!

 If they're calling in from on-net areas, you may find another provider willing to give you a better per min rate, but my experience has been that the monthly revenue commitment usually starts in around the $5k/month range before the rate comes down below what you're already paying.

 All that being said, before you go seeking a better rate, make sure you've done a good amount of due dilligence on a different provider to make sure that you're still going to receive the best level of service even though you may have a better rate.

--
Bird's The Word Technologies, Inc.
http://www.btwtech.com/