[asterisk-users] receive fax problem

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 10:13:28 CST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 3:30 AM, fateme fatah <faza_404 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> extensions.conf:
> [from-pstn]
> exten => 9711315,1,Answer()
> exten => 9711315,2,Wait(10)

Why on earth are you waiting TEN seconds to actually receive the fax?
Have you tried ripping that out of your dialplan?

> exten => fax,1,SetVar(FAXFILE=/tmp/test.tif)
> exten => fax,2,rxfax(FAXFILE)
>
> -- Executing [9711315 at from-pstn:1] Answer("Zap/6-1", "") in new stack
> -- Accepting call from '3318545' to '9711315' on channel 0/6, span 1
> == Auto fallthrough, channel 'Zap/6-1' status is 'UNKNOWN'
> -- Hungup 'Zap/6-1'
>
> I've installed spandsp and app_rxfax.
> I'd appreciate any help and idea.

My guess is the sending fax is giving up and closing the connection,
after waiting TEN seconds for a response. If it does this repeatedly
(and it would), the sending fax will output that it couldn't connect /
which it usually calls busy, but it never truly gets a traditional
busy signal. At least that's the output if you do this to my
traditional analog fax machine.

If you want to confirm my theory, you can use the txfax module to fax
yourself from asterisk, and you should have the same problem.

How about which version of Asterisk you're running?
The integrated asterisk app_fax is very, very good in 1.6. I had a lot
of problems with fax in 1.4; all of those problems were solved with my
upgrade to app_fax and 1.6.