[asterisk-users] AGI pdf book

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Thu Feb 19 19:00:25 CST 2009

>did you get your Samba issue fixed?

Yes, I finally figured it out this morning.  I had the domain set to match that of the web site it was serving, which was on the other side of a router, so not even on the local subnet.  The DNS queries from that got Samba all messed up.  Ugh!

Yes, I would have gladly paid someone $150 for an hour's work to solve that problem.  That assumes they could figure it out in an hour--I know any number of people who would have taken a day or two to track that one down.  I can't afford that rate for that amount of time (nor does the economic model you described fit as well for an all day job).

I'm a small business owner.  I have a number of Linux items I'd like to off-load, but if it costs me a lot more to off-load it than to do it myself, in spite of the learning curve--well if I do it myself, at least I learned something.  I'll offload PCB layout or writing DSP drivers because I can get them done for $50 an hour or less.  On the other hand, if I found someone locally who knew what they were doing and charged reasonably, I'd have ongoing work for them from time to time.

Yes, my charge out rates aren't the highest even in my field (which actually is more complex than Linux or networking).  However, I evaluated the situation a few years ago.  A friend of mine was charging twice what I was, but admitted he spent half his time marketing himself.  Hmmm, he's bringing home the same per month that I am.  Since I prefer engineering to marketing, I think I've got the better deal.  I haven't had a down day in probably 10 years.  BTW, my fees have to cover a few thousand dollars worth of assets like test equipment, computers and engineering development software.

Wilton