[asterisk-users] What's the difference between the Jabber Client Mode And Component Mode?

Philippe Sultan philippe.sultan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 13:15:58 CST 2009

Hi Tony,

There are quite a few differences between the two modes.

1) connections
Component connections use a different TCP port than the regular ports
(5222 or 5223) use for client connections. For example, the default
port on jabberd2 for component connections is 5347. Component
connections cannot be encrypted with TLS, and rely on a specific
authentication mechanism.

2) XMPP packets handling
Client connections allow you to receive XMPP packets
(presence/iq/message) from buddies you explicitly allowed to, and send
XMPP packets to buddies that explicitly allowed you to do so. Buddies
are identified with a Jabber ID (JID). Basically, the authorization
process is ruled by a mutual subscription mechanism.

Component connections on the other hand allow you to do more. As an
example, suppose you connect your Asterisk server as a component
identified by 'asterisk'. Then, any XMPP packet sent to JIDs like
'user at asterisk' will be routed to your Asterisk server for further
processing. Also, your Asterisk server can send XMPP packets from any
JID like 'user at asterisk'. Connecting as a component is basically the
same as connecting a new domain to an XMPP server.

At the institute I work for, we use Asterisk as a component for
groupchat/meetme connections. Asterisk informs the users connected to
a given groupchat that someone (identified with a phone extension like
1234 at asterisk) has entered/left a meetme conference. Coupled with a
Web interface, you get a conferencing service that brings chat and
audio functions together.

Philippe

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:59 AM, tony luo <tony.luo0801 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am doing some research on the intergration of Jabber and Asterisk.
>
> I have tried Jabber Client Mode. It's cool and works fine.
> But there's few information on the Component Mode.
>
> What's the difference between these two mode?
>
> I finished the configuration on jabber.conf and I am using openfire.
> What shall I do in the openfire to make them intergrated?
>
> Looks forward to your suggestions.
>
> Regards
> Tony

Philippe Sultan