[asterisk-users] Managing SIP hardphones call history

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Thu Feb 19 04:01:22 CST 2009

2009/2/19 Johansson Olle E <oej at edvina.net>

> 19 feb 2009 kl. 07.47 skrev Olivier:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been asked sometimes to tailor call history features embeded in
> > SIP hardphones.
> > For example, a cutomer wanted internal call to be taken out.
> > Another wanted calls to sorted according specific criteria.
> >
> > 1. Have you identified a phone offering the possibility to display
> > as Call History, an XML list produced on a distant web server ?
> > With this feature, you would simply have to tell the hardphone which
> > query to send and then, you would get a customized Call History.
> >
> > 2. Is there a standard a B2BUA could implement to tell a hardphone
> > "Please, don't add this call data into your call history" ?
> > I was thinking of some sort of "SIP Alert-Info" data or "200 Reason:
> > Call completed elsewhere".
>
> That's an interesting privacy issue. No, I haven't seen that, but
> maybe people who are working more with the end-devices than
> the core servers know...
>
> /O

That's a bit, a chicken and egg problem ...

I won't be surprised if Broadsoft and the likes would ask phone vendors to
implement XML-based call history and let server vendors handle call
histories for each subscribed phone ...
That would unleash developpers creativity without tying phone vendors to a
specific server vendor, which they would reluctant to do ...

Using a call by call privacy mechanism seems more difficult to me ...

Maybe phone vendors that get an important revenue share from Asterisk
activities, would agree to develop this XML-call history feature if Asterisk
could "provide" the server-side of it (even if I think most changes needed
to implement this server-side are outside the scope of Asterisk, itself).

I think most SIP phones already implement a very similar mechanism for
directories (phone query an XML-based server to get directory entries before
dialing).