[asterisk-users] life safety system and VOIP

Jon Pounder jonp at inline.net
Tue Feb 17 15:25:35 CST 2009

Don E. Wisdom wrote:

> On 2/17/09 2:05 PM, "Jon Pounder" <jonp at inline.net> wrote:
>
>     Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:
>     > What do you suppose we have as liability if we are asked to
>     install such
>     > systems? Is it the responsibility of the business owner that
>     orders the
>     > system to meet all applicable codes? If (god forbid) someone was
>     hurt in
>     > such a situation and the alarm didn't get passed because of being
>     > delivered by VoIP for whatever reason, does the system installer
>     have any
>     > liability?
>     >

>     >well here's a question - which is more reliable ?
>     >- a single copper line dialed on demand when there is a problem
>     >- voip or other internet technology, using internet connections on
>     more
>     >than one media (say phone and cable), voip connected to multiple
>     servers
>     >in a failover configuration.
>
>     >its not uncommon for even a house to have multiple internet
>     connections,
>     >but how many buildings have phone lines that connect back to different
>     >CO's and fail over ?
>
>     >The best bet if you really care about what you are trying to
>     protect is
>     >make sure the message can get out as many ways as possible, whether it
>     >be phone, voip, network, cellmodem, etc. Forget what regulations
>     >require, no one says you can't go further than the minimum if you
>     want.
>
>     In a REAL emergency internet/cell is more likely to fail than the
>     phone companys pots network.
>     Cable/DSLAM etc only have about 4 hours of battery power. The CO
>     has a entire battery room which will last a whole lot longer. Not
>     to mention that it may stay up longer than your VoIP network. You
>     also have to take into account everything between you& the CO or
>     cable company. If just ONE thing fails you loose voip. Copper is a
>     lot more forgiving & has failover modes versus the phone co’s ATM
>     network or the cable companies “network” (or lack there of)
>
>     --Don

I don't know if thats really true any more, all the new areas around
here have satellite CO's where fibre comes out to a box on the street
with some batteries etc and copper runs out from there - great for dsl
since its close, but at the mercy of whatever batteries are in there.

maybe your alarm needs to report in since there is a fire in your phone
equipment - what then ?

I have seen every type of media go down or have problems no matter how
stable - the only answer is have more than one so you always have a
backup. Poles get hit, cables get cut, equipment breaks, its just a fact
of life.