[asterisk-users] life safety system and VOIP

Don E. Wisdom donw at engineeringinc.com
Tue Feb 17 15:13:00 CST 2009

On 2/17/09 2:05 PM, "Jon Pounder" <jonp at inline.net> wrote:

Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:
> What do you suppose we have as liability if we are asked to install such
> systems?  Is it the responsibility of the business owner that orders the
> system to meet all applicable codes?  If (god forbid) someone was hurt in
> such a situation and the alarm didn't get passed because of being
> delivered by VoIP for whatever reason, does the system installer have any
> liability?
>

>well here's a question - which is more reliable ?
>- a single copper line dialed on demand when there is a problem
>- voip or other internet technology, using internet connections on more
>than one media (say phone and cable), voip connected to multiple servers
>in a failover configuration.

>its not uncommon for even a house to have multiple internet connections,
>but how many buildings have phone lines that connect back to different
>CO's and fail over ?

>The best bet if you really care about what you are trying to protect is
>make sure the message can get out as many ways as possible, whether it
>be phone, voip, network, cellmodem, etc. Forget what regulations
>require, no one says you can't go further than the minimum if you want.

In a REAL emergency internet/cell is more likely to fail than the phone companys pots network.
Cable/DSLAM etc only have about 4 hours of battery power.  The CO has a entire battery room which will last a whole lot longer.  Not to mention that it may stay up longer than your VoIP network.  You also have to take into account everything between you& the CO or cable company.  If just ONE thing fails you loose voip.  Copper is a lot more forgiving & has failover modes versus the phone co's ATM network or the cable companies "network" (or lack there of)

--Don