[asterisk-users] Network architecture

Asterisk Asterisk nt_asterisk at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 12:31:15 CST 2009

>found out that the best solution is to use OpenSips as SIP

OpenSIPS is a great free software proxy.

>1- Is there any Software limitation on asterisk regarding number of simulltaneous calls?

There isn't any explicit limitation in Asterisk or OpenSIPS that I'm aware of, but you are limited to processing power, memory, bandwidth, etc.

>2- Can 1 asterisk server handle 5000 simuitaneous calls if I have the appropriate hardware?

There are a lot of factors to consider, but I'm sure you could do it if you are determined. Not the wisest option however - see below.

>3- It's etter to have one asterisk server for hadling 5k simultaneous calls or divide the load on different servers?

I would split it up and keep each server under 50% load during normal activity. That way you can handle peak load and balance if one or more servers fail. Try not to put more than 200-400 calls on each server, depending on your configuration. That would be 100-200 calls per server with 50% load.

For 5,000 concurrent calls, that means 25 servers assuming decent hardware and 50% load. That might not be an option. You may be able to split up some of the servers into multiple VMs -- maybe five servers with five VMs each.

You may be able to get away with 90% regular load if 5,000 concurrent calls is never to be exceeded. Anyway, there are many factors to consider. More information is definitely needed.

I'm planning to build a VOIP solution for handling SIP calls coming from endpoints registered on a specific SIP proxy...I made some research regarding network architecture and found out that the best solution is to use OpenSips as SIP proxy for registration and local calls between registered endpoints and use asterisk server with a2billing for PSTN calls, rating, routing and all other stuff plus a MySQL database...

This architecture convinced me, but I have some questions regarding asterisk and I need asterisk expert answers in order to take decision...

1- Is there any Software limitation on asterisk regarding number of simulltaneous calls?
2- Can 1 asterisk server handle 5000 simuitaneous calls if I have the appropriate hardware?
3- It's etter to have one asterisk server for hadling 5k simultaneous calls or divide the load on different servers?

Waiting your reply

Regards