[asterisk-users] WiFi SIP phone w/VPN?

Jay Milk ast-users at skimmilk.net
Mon Feb 16 14:57:36 CST 2009

Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> Hi, all.  My subject line says it all: is there a WiFi SIP phone with VPN
> abilities?  Failing that, a WiFi phone that runs Linux?  I already know
> one phone that does meet my requirements -- the iPhone.  The new software
> comes with a Cisco VPN client, and a SIP client can be had from
> third-party vendors for jailbroken phones.  And, while I'm not averse to
> the idea,
> a) it ain't cheap, and
> b) it's a bit hack.
>
> I've googled my heart out, but haven't found anything else that (I'm sure)
> meets all three requirements.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Ken
My Nokia E71 has a decent sip-client and vpn capabilities.  I use it as
an extension all day long (and also as a GSM phone and pda), but I
haven't used the vpn and sip together, yet.  As an added bonus, it's an
S60/3 with a well-documented API and an active development community.
It's still pricey -- ~$300, but there are less expensive wifi/sip
equipped Nokias out there.