[asterisk-users] Michael Graves post

Matt Riddell lists at venturevoip.com
Mon Feb 16 14:30:19 CST 2009

On 17/02/2009 3:05 a.m., Michael Graves wrote:
> Phasing tricks using stereo speakers are good as far as generating an
> effect. That is, synthesizing the perception of some image width, but
> not accurately reproducing an audible scene. There are many fine
> commercial examples of this. I own a old Carver "Sonic Holography"
> processor which sounds really nice. Pops a stereo image open
> tremendously, although being analog circuitry it's very noisy by
> today's standards.

Yeah, awesome till you get a stereo->mono mix and then phase
inconsistencies make it mute itself (i.e. left phase inverted from right
then summed).

> The surround image is likely only going to be optimal in one "sweet
> spot" in the listening room. If many people are gathered around a large
> table it seems likely that noone will hear the optimal effect.

Yeah, although they would hear some effect if the speakers were far
enough away.

> The question is, will anyone benefit at all? That is, is there any
> merit in using existing surround processing techniques to encode
> directional cues into conference calling systems?

I just don't know anyone with hardware capable of reproducing it.  Don't
get me wrong, I think it would be awesome, but it needs to be supported
at each endpoint (or as you stated - fall back to a working methodology).

> There's also a question of scale. Does this sort of thing scale down
> below full-bore telepresence suites? Or is it just the icing on a $750k
> room? Simply a marketing tool?

Heh, if you're paying $750k for a room, you should definitely have this
- as well as a full hd telepresence suite.  It would definitely allow
multiple speakers to be more easily distinguished from each other while
talking at the same time.

--
Kind Regards,

Matt Riddell