[asterisk-users] Faxing with asterisk

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Feb 16 04:08:30 CST 2009

Fabio Mosti wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need to setup asterisk to receive fax.
>
> I'm try Spandsp (opensource) and Attrafax (commercial) both on
> asterisk 1.4.23) but the results are disappointing.
> with spandsp many times the fax arrives cut.
> with Attrafax i have some problem.
>
> Anyone have any idea or solution (Opensource or commercial) to suggest me ?

You have two solutions which give trouble, and you assume the problem is
with them, and not something else in your system. Interesting logic.

You don't indicate the kind of setup you are using. If you are trying to
FAX over a VoIP connection, its probably that connection making FAXes
fail. If you are using mISDN, it is probably that making FAXes fail. If
you are using zaptel to bring in FAXes from the PSTN, spandsp should
work well.

If you are using the agx addons to interface spandsp to asterisk, they
have just been updated to work with the latest spandsp. This should be
more robust in its error recovery than the older versions of spandsp.
However, with a good connection to the PSTN you shouldn't be hitting
recovery conditions often enough for that to be too serious.

Regards,
Steve