[asterisk-users] Michael Graves post

Matt Riddell lists at venturevoip.com
Sun Feb 15 21:05:48 CST 2009

On 10/02/2009 5:08 a.m., Michael Graves wrote:
> I unwittingly started this on Facebook, which I don't user very much.
> Here's the gist of it.
>
> A Strange Brew: VoIP/Telephony Crossed With Surround Sound
>
> It couldn't be the puritanical kind of approach used in music
> recording. It would be more a matter of using surround panning to
> position participants in an synthetic soundfield. I wonder if this has
> been done to any degree elsewhere?
>
> Stereo is extremely limited in scope. Most of a synthetic stereo image
> is manipulated using simplistic level based panning, not unlike an old
> school balance control. It's coarse and two dimensional at best.

Erm - excluding the use of prefade reverb it's actually one dimensional
- moves left to right - prefade reverb allows you to move backward and
forward - bringing it to 2 dimensional.

> I'm thinking that UHJ format ambisonic encoding might prove more
> useful. It allows for accurate, controllable three dimensional
> positioning while only using the equivalent of a stereo stream.

Surround sound is two dimensional - it just uses the room reverb/delays
instead of added ones.  I.E. you hear the sound as being in front of you
rather than to the side of you.

Three dimensional would require height - which isn't really that useful.

The problem is the listening environment - most people don't have
surround for this - I do like the idea of widening the sound field -
although it's already doable with phasing and stereo speakers.

I don't think there's even a good stereo conference room.

--
Kind Regards,

Matt Riddell
Director