[asterisk-users] Asterisk on EC2 cloud computing - price assumptions - your brain needed

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Fri Feb 13 11:59:50 CST 2009

I've been involved with getting better data for running Asterisk on
the Amazon EC2 cloud computing system.  Here are some calculations
I've made on costs based on current published prices on Amazon's
system.  Feel free to tell me that I'm wrong with these calculations -
but be specific if you find any problems, as I suspect others may glom
onto these figures as gospel and I'd hate to have the wrong data in
there.

   http://www.loligo.com/asterisk/misc/amazon-ec2.xls

The net of my calculations is that a small instance of 20 users in a
standard office environment would cost about $75 per month, which when
compared to running a server in-house works out to be (raw cost, not
including admin time and not discounting out-of-office bandwidth) only
$38.56 more.  Very interesting.

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/