[asterisk-users] What t38pt_udptl is ? Explain T.38 in 1.4

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Thu Feb 12 13:14:58 CST 2009

2009/2/10 David Backeberg <dbackeberg at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to improve my understanding of T.38.
>
> I recommend you try out Asterisk 1.6 if you want to play with T.38.
> I DID get asterisk-1.4 working with fax, but I was having a lot of
> issues with faxes dropping in weird ways. All of those issues went
> away when I upgraded to 1.6. Don't waste your time like I did.

I can see what you mean, now, since I'm trying hard to understand how
Asterisk 1.4 is working with T.38.

At the moment, not only fax is not really working but I even get aborted
voice calls because of "415 unsupported media" !
It seems Asterisk keeps advertising T.38 support to callee endpoint though
this endpoint is configured in sip.conf to accept only alaw !!
Endpoint is configured with :
t38pt_udptl=no
t38pt_rtp=no
t38pt_tcp=no
disallow=all
allow=alaw
canreinvite=no

So I must be misunderstanding what t38pt_udptl=no means.
Maybe it simply means "if t38pt_udptl=yes, then use this type of T.38, else
use another type of T.38" and setting t38pt_udptl=no is not enough to
prevent an endpoint to receive T.38 offers ...

Or maybe it's a bug ...