[asterisk-users] Disabling Echo Cancellation on a per Call basis

Tobias Wolf tobias.wolf at evision.de
Thu Feb 12 11:40:43 CST 2009

Hi Kevin,

Kevin P. Fleming schrieb:
> Tobias Wolf wrote:
>
>> If it is not possible, why is that so ? Is there really no need to do this and i
>> am totally mistaken?
>
> This is generally true. Any standards-compliant FAX machine or modem
> will generate a CED tone during the beginning of the call process, and
> any standards compliant echo canceler (including the ones in
> Zaptel/DAHDI) will respond to this tone by disabling the echo canceler.
> With Zaptel/DAHDI and a software echo canceler, you can see the evidence
> of this by watching the kernel message log for messages of the form
> 'Disabled echo canceler because of tone (..) on channel...".

Does this only take place if fax detection is enabled in DAHDI or is it
something that happens everytime a CED tone is send over the line?

Since i have only deticated fax lines, i like to get rid of the fax detection
for that i need to add an Wait(4) to the dialplan, after Answer().

Unfortunatly my Linux Machine seems not to log messages from DAHDI.
I have looked into /var/log/kern.log
There are messages from the kernel module like;
Feb 11 17:38:12 officepbx kernel: wcte1xxp: Setting yellow alarm
Feb 11 17:38:21 officepbx kernel: wcte1xxp: Clearing yellow alarm

But no messages about echo can. Maybe i am missing configuration for the kernel
module to enable logging ?

>> Generally receiving faxes works fine, but sometimes they break and i assume i
>> might have something to do with echo can.
>
> Unfortunately that is not likely to be the cause of your problems.

Well, this may be the case ...

But thanks anyway for your helpful informations, they help me a lot to get a
better understanding.

Cheers,

--

   Tobias Wolf