[asterisk-users] What do you use? .conf or AEL?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Feb 11 15:23:58 CST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:14:33PM -0600, Matthew Nicholson wrote:
> Of course you should be using Lua.
>
> More seriously, use whatever works best for you.  If you have time,
> evaluate all three alternatives and pick the one you like the best.  If
> you don't have the time, I wouldn't put a lot of effort into switching
> to AEL or Lua based dialplans.
>
> There are advantages to using both AEL and Lua over conventional ".conf"
> dialplan code (and some disadvantages).  Mainly, complex AEL and Lua
> dialplans are easier to read, write, and maintain then complex
> traditional dialplans.  At the same time, traditional ".conf" dialplans
> are not going away anytime soon, and you do not lose any functionality
> vs AEL and Lua.  So trying to pick one over another is very similar to
> the problem of picking one programming language over another (e.g.  "Is
> python better then ruby?").

AEL is basically a very simple dialplan compiler. That is: things there
translate pretty much directly to the internal dialplan structure (That
is very close in spirit to what you write in a .conf file).

Lua works differently (e.g: no "priority").

Does this help?

Anybody here misses res_perl and/or res_js?

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com