[asterisk-users] What do you use? .conf or AEL?

Matthew Nicholson mnicholson at digium.com
Wed Feb 11 12:14:33 CST 2009

Of course you should be using Lua.

More seriously, use whatever works best for you.  If you have time,
evaluate all three alternatives and pick the one you like the best.  If
you don't have the time, I wouldn't put a lot of effort into switching
to AEL or Lua based dialplans.

There are advantages to using both AEL and Lua over conventional ".conf"
dialplan code (and some disadvantages).  Mainly, complex AEL and Lua
dialplans are easier to read, write, and maintain then complex
traditional dialplans.  At the same time, traditional ".conf" dialplans
are not going away anytime soon, and you do not lose any functionality
vs AEL and Lua.  So trying to pick one over another is very similar to
the problem of picking one programming language over another (e.g.  "Is
python better then ruby?").

On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 12:58 -0500, C F wrote:
> Of course you should be using .conf
>
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 2:28 AM, Lee, John (Sydney)
> <John.Lee at compuware.com> wrote:
> > Of course you should be using AEL.

Matthew Nicholson
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer