[asterisk-users] VPN and Asterisk

Bill Michaelson bill at cosi.com
Sat Feb 7 13:14:58 CST 2009

  "David @ULC" <ucoms2001 at gmail.com> wrote
> One of my user was asking, can he use VPN to access asterisk ?
> What does it mean ?
>
> And its possible ?
>
> How ?VPN

Sometimes what is called a VPN is not a VPN by everyone's definition, so
beware. By my definition, a (IP) VPN supports full layer 3 functionality
(and sometimes more), as opposed to, say, some type of proxy that relays
a limited set of protocols over a particular path with encryption. So
you need to be more specific about your question.

Example:

I've run Asterisk over OpenVPN. In this case, no problem; it's just
another networking layer and the only special consideration is increased
overhead, and that same consideration applies to any application. There
are other VPNs.