[asterisk-users] Crash Hard, Crash Often

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Thu Feb 5 20:36:17 CST 2009

>When he examined the motherboards, both had capacitors around
>the CPU that had visibly 'ballooned'

A good reason to look for motherboards with either Tantalum capacitors or Organic capacitors.  Its a marketing point I'm seeing these days, and as a design engineer, I can say its worth looking for.  The ESR in typical aluminum electrolytics is considerably higher.  These caps are at the output of a switching regulator on the CPU that is handling many amps.  This creates large charging and discharging currents at hundreds of KHz rate.  Any ESR (internal series resistance) turns some of this into heat.

Wilton