[asterisk-users] Crash Hard, Crash Often

Josiah Bryan jbryan at productiveconcepts.com
Thu Feb 5 08:56:46 CST 2009

I've been using asterisk for 3+ years now, I love it, but it doesnt love
me back. :-)

It was crashing frequently and seemingly randomly prior to this latest
upgrade. Not sure what version it was running prior to upgrade (it was
probably an old CVS HEAD from 2+ years go.) Anyway, currently running
1.4.21.2.

== Problem ==

Problem is that its crashing for seemingly no reason at all, no errors
on the console, no logs (that I can find), nothing in /var/lib/messages
- its puzzeling! Management is screaming like banshees, calls are
dropping like flies, and all hell is about to break loose if I can't
stop asterisk from crashing every couple of hours, taking down any
Zaptel calls with it.

I've been thinking of switching over to CallWeaver, but I havn't got
another Zaptel card to plugin to my testing box, so I'd like to just get
Asterisk stabilized right now - but I'm at a loss of even where to start.

== System Details ==

Running FC3, 2.6.9-1.667 kernel, 32 bit, with 256 MB ram and a 20G hard
drive. I've got two 4-port FXO cards in PCI slots.

lspci reports:
02:08.0 Communication controller: Tiger Jet Network Inc. Tiger3XX
Modem/ISDN interface
02:0a.0 Communication controller: Tiger Jet Network Inc. Tiger3XX
Modem/ISDN interface

[root at asterisk ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 1
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.50GHz
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1483.679
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips        : 2924.54

==

Thanks for any help or advice anyone may have. Cheers!
-josiah

--
Josiah Bryan
IT Manager