[asterisk-users] no need to dial areacode

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Feb 5 07:49:56 CST 2009

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Ralf Träskman wrote:

> Hi
>
> To dial an outside line i have to dial 0. I want to have that when we
> dial local numbers, that is we are in the 08 area, I don't want to have
> to dial 08, how to set this up in asterisk 1.6?

Are your local numbers a fixed length? If so, this might work:

; Local numbers - 8 digits long:

exten _XXXXXXXX,1,Noop(Local number)
exten _XXXXXXXX,n,Dial(${out}/08${EXTEN})

etc.

If you have other numbers of varying length, then this might not work...

This generally works OK in the UK for local area dialling. My local
numbers are 5 or 6 digits long, so ...

exten => _XXXXXX,1,Macro(dialOut,01364${EXTEN})
exten =>  _XXXXX,1,Macro(dialOut,01364${EXTEN})

Not perfect, but it works OK.

I do try to persuade my customers to always dial the full number though,
10 or 11 digits starting with 0, because that's what they need to do on a
mobile...

Gordon