[asterisk-users] Contact lookup

Geoff Lane geoff at gjctech.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 01:22:16 CST 2009

On Wednesday, February 4, 2009, Ex Vito wrote:

>   For a simple (but flexible) case I would consider ODBC +
>   func_odbc. Here is the idea (in case you aren't aware of how it
>   goes...)

[... snip ...]

>   It may be a bit more work than using the Ast DB or other means, but it
>   has the advantage of allowing the easy setup of any kind of frontend for
>   contact management.

Thanks for the reply.

The nice thing about that is that if I use MySQL I can run the
management application on another machine, and so don't need to run a
web server on the Asterisk box. However, I wonder whether the overhead
necessary to run MySQL on the Asterisk box is more than that required
to run Apache to provide a web interface to astdb. I'm not running
either at present, which is probably as well since my Asterisk machine
is low-spec by todays standards.

At the moment it's academic since I don't have a large or extremely
dynamic contact list and so can handle it with commands in the * CLI.
However, it'll be an interesting exercise when I eventually upgrade
the hardware and also move to Asterisk 1.6.

Thanks again,

--
Geoff