[asterisk-users] Warnings during a compile

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Tue Feb 3 18:24:49 CST 2009

Robert Boardman wrote:
> Here is just one example of a warning when compiling asterisk on Ubuntu 8.10
>
> manager.c:1760: warning: ignoring return value of âreadâ, declared with
> attribute warn_unused_result
>
> is this anything to worry about?
>
> can i safely ignore it?
>
> Thanks
> Robb

I may be wrong about this part, but that class of warning is something that
started appearing with a recent version of gcc (4.3 I think). Kevin Fleming took
the time to clear up these warnings shortly after the release of this version of
gcc, so if you are using a current checkout of Asterisk, you shouldn't see those
warnings. In fact, looking at manager.c in my 1.4 and 1.6.0 checkouts, all calls
to read(2) have their return value checked.

To answer your question more directly, it's something that has a low potential
to create problems, but given how long Asterisk had gone without checking those
return values and how recently that was fixed, it's probably something you can
ignore. Of course updating to a more recent checkout of Asterisk will clear such
warnings up.

Mark Michelson