[asterisk-users] SIP presence sample script

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 12:51:31 CST 2009

Hi,

I'm new to the concept of "SIP presence" and was hoping someone could lend me a hand.

All I really need is a client application (or I could write one) that would run on a user's computer. This app would need to show the "state" of a few SIP extensions (something like what I would get on the *CLI with "show hints"; in other words, I only need to know if the extensions are busy or not). This app would have to refresh the states automatically and hopefully in real-time.

(note that the users won't have IP phones with presence capability; that's why I need to implement it on a desktop)

What would be the best approach for this?
Should I use AMI events?
Should I use "SIP subscribe" and how?
Has this been implemented already (web app or other client app)?
Would the Flash Operator Panel be a good option or are there "simpler" solutions out there (I just need to know if an extension is busy or not)?

Thanks for your advice.

Vieri