[asterisk-users] Configuring Patton SmartNode with ISDN2e and Asterisk

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon Feb 2 11:02:35 CST 2009

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Phil Knighton wrote:

> Hello
>
> Does anyone have any experience with configuring BT (British Telecom)
> ISDN2e lines to work with Patton SmartNodes - and then Asterisk?
>
> I have a Patton SmartNode 4638, which is now connected to 3 x ISDN2e
> lines - and in turn connected to our internal LAN.  I'm having huge
> issues configuring the SmartNode to successfully "see" the ISDN channels
> - and to be honest, I'm lost as to how to then route those calls to
> Asterisk?  The instructions, user guide and website all assume a
> knowledge of the technology/terminology that I just don't have :-(
>
> Has anyone had to do anything similar, and if so would you be able to
> provide some guidance in plain English?  A kind list member has given me
> the outline steps of which bits need configuring, but I'm hoping someone
> may have a little more info on the actual settings for ISDN2e - as the
> Patton website (or BT) is not hugely helpful.  Any further information
> on configuring Patton or other gateway boxes with Asterisk would also be
> extremely helpful.

Any reason you can't stick an ISDN2e card in the asterisk box and bypass
the Patton entirely?

I've installed several units like this using asterisk 1.2 and the mISDN
drivers.

The openVox cards work just fine too - this is what I've used:

   http://www.voipon.co.uk/openvox-b400p-pci-isdn-bri-card-p-662.html

Gordon