[asterisk-users] Auto-provisioining Polycom 430 wth dd-wrt router

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Dec 30 03:48:27 CST 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:06:40PM -0700, Mike Diehl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to use a wrt54gl router running dd-wrt as a provisioning server for
> a remote installation.
>
> I've got dhcp working and I have provisioning files ready to go.  I understand
> that I need to set bootp option 66 to point to the tftp/ftp/http server.  In
> fact, I have this working completely with the ISC dhcp server
>
> The problem is that I don't know how to get dd-wrt's dhcp server to send the
> right string to the phone.
>
> With ISC dhcpd, I used:
>
> option boot-server "ftp://user:passwd@10.0.1.1";
> option tftp-server-name "ftp://user:passwd@10.0.1.1";
>
> But what is the equivelent configuration for dnsmasq?

For starters, you should probably define this only to a subset of the
phones. Look into defining classes, "nets", in the terminology of
dnsmasq. Those are basically just arbitrary groups of clients (e.g.: all
the SNOM phones). The 'net'[work] name parameter is an optional
parameter in many places. For now I'll just ignore it.

What version of dnsmasq do you use?

The man page for dnsmasq here claims:

       -O, --dhcp-option=[<network-id>,[<network-id>,]][vendor:[<vendor-
       class>],][<opt>|option:<opt-name>],[<value>[,<value>]]

         The  option  numbers  are  specified  in
         RFC2132 and subsequent RFCs. The set of option-names known by
         dnsmasq can be discovered by running "dnsmasq --help dhcp".

IIRC at least in some phones the protocol 'ftp' is not taken from DHCP.
Rather, it is defined in the phone. I also wonder how wise is it to
broadcast an authentication token in a protocol such as DHCP.

And last but not least, as part of recent race for feature bloat, latest
versions of dnsmasq also double for a tftpd.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com