[asterisk-users] Looking at Asterisk for 8000sq/ft residential use

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 22:30:21 CST 2009

Before I start I am a Panasonic certified dealer AND I have installed
over 100 Asterisk systems that are in production.

That said for your application use Panasonic, DONT use Asterisk.
Use the Panasonic KX-TDA50G. Supports up to around 50 ports.
In addition to Analog and their proprietary Digital phones they support:
* SIP
* DECT Wireless with their unique Wireless CellSites (so there are no
dead spots).
* Door boxes with door realease
* External relays
* CTI software
* Built in MOH port
* Built in external paging port

Dont use the TAW848 as it uses analog proprietary phones which in
addition of having just 12 programmable buttons it must have 2 pairs
to work.
Its options are also limited, as well as it's been discontinued.

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Rick Huebner <rick at rhuebner.com> wrote:
> My brother-in-law is finishing up his McMansion and I've done all of the
> low voltage wiring and am starting the trimout.  We are batting around
> what to do for a phone system and I'm torn between a Panasonic
> TAW824/TVA50 and using an Asterisk implementation.  I'm very strong on
> the networking/linux/basic hacking(old school, not criminal) side.  I've
> downloaded the Asterisk VM and have some implentation questions before
> we make a decision.  Of course we are running out of time because I need
> to order either RJ-11 or RJ-45 keystones for the plates to finish the
> trim out.  We have Cat5e run everywhere so that won't be a limiting factor.
>
> Basic info:
> 8000sq/ft under air, 11,000sq/ft under the roof
> 17 phone handset outlets
> 15 phone jacks for potential use behind TVs
> 2 fax lines
> 1 alarm line
> 3 voice POTS lines
> 1 fax POTS line
> Pentium 4 old Dell with 1gig RAM to use with Asterisk if selected
>
> Requirements
> 1. Page over all handsets in intercom mode.  They have kids and want to
> be able to "yell" over the phone if needed to find someone.

Not done easily with Asterisk from ANY phone, unless you plan on
putting some expensive IP Phone with a gozillion buttons or plan on
teaching the kids 2-3 digit codes.

> 2. Easily call from room to room.  Speed dial buttons would be ideal.

Again only expensive IP phones have that.

> 3. Multiple voice line support for the office phones.
> 4. Unique ring tones on the phones for internal calls versus external so
> you can tell by listening if it is inside or outside.
> 5. If possible, unique ring tones for the various external lines in the
> offices.

Panasonic will do all that.