[asterisk-users] Looking at Asterisk for 8000sq/ft residential use

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Mon Dec 28 16:42:36 CST 2009

Rick Huebner wrote:
> My brother-in-law is finishing up his McMansion and I've done all of the
> low voltage wiring and am starting the trimout.  We are batting around
> what to do for a phone system and I'm torn between a Panasonic
> TAW824/TVA50 and using an Asterisk implementation.  I'm very strong on
> the networking/linux/basic hacking(old school, not criminal) side.  I've
> downloaded the Asterisk VM and have some implentation questions before
> we make a decision.  Of course we are running out of time because I need
> to order either RJ-11 or RJ-45 keystones for the plates to finish the
> trim out.
You can use the 8 position modular jacks regardless ( misnamed RJ-45 )
so that should not stop you from finishing the trim out.

You did remember the door boxes, didn't you?
Panasonic systems have that covered, even with openers if desired.

The Panasonic systems I have used over the last 20 years are rugged,
hang on the wall, connect with proper protection and forget them for
years on end. They all have had dual ports that will either use a POTS
single line phone, or one of their multibutton phones without any
rewiring, reprogramming, and many even support one of each per port.
An ideal system for a large house.
I assume in the US?

The TVS-50 isn't much of a VM system though for a house a two port box
is probably OK, but NG for even a home business application.
Not familiar with the model number you mentioned. Was that a typo or a
new system?

Although many will disagree, for most users Panasonic systems with
normal requirements  work well for long periods with no problems and
have lots of features.
For the geek who wants to play, drive the rest of the family nuts
changing things, then consider Asterisk.

John Novack

>  We have Cat5e run everywhere so that won't be a limiting factor.
>
> Basic info:
> 8000sq/ft under air, 11,000sq/ft under the roof
> 17 phone handset outlets
> 15 phone jacks for potential use behind TVs
> 2 fax lines
> 1 alarm line
> 3 voice POTS lines
> 1 fax POTS line
> Pentium 4 old Dell with 1gig RAM to use with Asterisk if selected
>
> Requirements
> 1. Page over all handsets in intercom mode.  They have kids and want to
> be able to "yell" over the phone if needed to find someone.
> 2. Easily call from room to room.  Speed dial buttons would be ideal.
> 3. Multiple voice line support for the office phones.
> 4. Unique ring tones on the phones for internal calls versus external so
> you can tell by listening if it is inside or outside.
> 5. If possible, unique ring tones for the various external lines in the
> offices.
>
> Looking for any suggestions as I need to get the keystones ordered ASAP.
>
> Thanks
> Rick

Dog is my co-pilot