[asterisk-users] cheap ip phone with auto-answer

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Mon Dec 28 15:32:53 CST 2009

----- "Leif Neland" <leifn at neland.dk> wrote:
> I want some cheap ip-phones with auto-answer, to work as paging system
>
> at dinnertime.
> Options, please.
>
> Leif

I've had great luck using the BT201 phones from Grandstream for this purpose. In fact, this is the only situation where I still use Grandstream handsets. They support "auto answer" as well as "auto answer by call info" which allows you to auto answer based upon the SIP header in case you don't want *ALL* calls to be auto answered.

The only thing to watch out for is the Grandstream power supplies *WILL* die on you, likely within 2 years. For every Grandstream device I've deployed in the last few years, the power supply died and needed to be replaced. Luckily, they're just simple 5v wall warts and easy to find.

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105