[asterisk-users] rxgain / txgain for iaxmodem or hylafax

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Dec 27 10:17:52 CST 2009

On 12/27/2009 10:10 PM, Barry Fawthrop wrote:
> In trying to get the asterisk and faxing working
> I had to resolve to using iaxmodem and hylafax.
> I have incoming working, but outgoing the other fax rings
> but it would appear from web searches that the fax signals
> are too low to be "heard"

A web search of what? Random uninformed comments, perhaps?
> I can read about rxgain and txgain for zapata.
> my fax setup goes direct from aterisk<-SIP->  SIP Provider<- Fax Machine ->
> It never touches my FXS and FXO card.

FAX modems are designed to tolerate a very wide range of signal levels.
Gain rarely matters much, except when it is set to some crazy high value
that causes the signals to overload. There are numerous reasons for FAX
over SIP to fail, which are well documented in any reasonable web search.

Steve