[asterisk-users] Dell Server suggestion

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 09:40:07 CST 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Sascha Ferley
<sascha.ferley at infineon.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in need of ordering a new server here for our asterisk solution. Since
> the corporate standard is Dell we need to stick to a dell server. We used to
> deploy 2900III without any issues, however now they are almost not available
> any more and are looking at a new solution.
> Has anyone tried any of the new Dell R (series) servers with Asterisk,
> utilizing Digium PRI cards?

I am also required to buy Dell per company standards. I have two
R805s, which is one of the rare times where Dell is selling servers
with the six-core Opterons. I have a Digium TE-420 (PCI Express) in
each. No problems so far, but they've only been live a few weeks. The
R805 has 16x dimm slots which you can populate with a total of 128GB
of ram.

Our other R805 is NOT used for asterisk, but it's hammered with heavy
Oracle loads, has an attached Dell sata drive box, and has had no
problems other than early deployment problems with the driver /
firmware / crashes with the external Dell sata card. Once we upgraded
everything and fully replaced the card the problems were resolved.
It's been up solid for at least six months.