[asterisk-users] Recording the Calls to a USB Drive

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Dec 24 11:16:40 CST 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 11:24:24AM -0500, Krishna Sumanth Chava wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Merry Christmas and Happy new Year.
>
> I am looking for some assistance from the group as i think this might
> already have been tried before.
>
> i have an asterisk server with a external USB Harddisk Drive, just to store
> recordings. I am using the mixmonitor application for doing the recordings.
>
> When i have active calls that are being recorded to the USB Drive, and if my
> USB disk fails for some odd reason, like hardware failure or power
> failure..., asterisk complains that it is unable to write the recording to
> the USB Drive either by crashing asterisk or generate an infinite loop of
> errors on the asterisk console (Input/Ouptut Errors). If I try to unload the
> module app_mixmonitor.so, asterisk crashes.

IIRC such a write to a disk will not be using DMA, and hence will take
much more CPU. I suggest you do some load testing first to see if this
is not an issue.

> I am wondering if we can make asterisk stop recording on all the
> recorded calls and not to crash/generate errors if it does not see the USB
> drive any more. i thought the easiest way is to unload the app_mixmonitor
> module, but unfortunately it is crashing asterisk at the same time.

You get a udev even when a device is removed. Get that event to do
whatever changes are required in the dialplan.

That said, you will be losing data if you remove the device while a call
is recorded.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com