[asterisk-users] How to send variables through AMI originate and read those variables in context?

Bruce Nik brucevoip at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 17:28:08 CST 2009

Hello Everyone,

I want to send a few numbers (variables) when doing Asterisk AMI Originate
command and then have Festival read them back to customer in the context.
How should this be done? Following is my not working example and also
reference on AMI Originate Command:

Command: Originate
Channel: SIP/123
Context: TestFestival
Exten: 555
Variable: $numberONE, $numberTWO, $numberTHREE

/etc/asterisk/extensions.conf:
[TestFestival]
exten => 555,1,Answer()
exten => 555,n,Festival(you entered: $numberONE $numberTWO $numberTHREE)
exten => 555,n,Hangup()

I very much appreacitate any input on this.

trixbox1*CLI> manager show command originate
Action: Originate
Synopsis: Originate Call
Privilege: originate,all
  Application/Data
Variables: (Names marked with * are required)
        *Channel: Channel name to call
        Exten: Extension to use (requires 'Context' and 'Priority')
        Context: Context to use (requires 'Exten' and 'Priority')