[asterisk-users] SOLVED PAP2 Dialing Delay

listuser at spamomania.co.uk listuser at spamomania.co.uk
Mon Dec 21 00:08:26 CST 2009

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 16:16 -0400, Tim Johnson wrote:
> > Possibly OT?
> > I've hooked up a Linksys PAP2 to my Asterisk 1.6 fairly painlessly. The
> > only issue I can't beat with it is the dial delay when calling internal
> > or external numbers.
> >
> > No matter what it seems to take 10 -15 seconds to actually dial. I've
> > altered the device removing all *xx combos and unnecessary waffle and
> > cut the dialplan string to (x.S0) but the problem persists.
> >
> > Anyone else seen this issue?
> >

> Have you adjusted the Interdigit Long Timer and Interdigit Short Timer in
> the Regional menu?
>
> Tim

It's related to that, but rather than break stuff changing it I found
the fix for this was the dialplan string. It seems to have a 'feature'
with the wildcard '.'. That is if you have x.S0 it will wait beyond the
end of Interdigit Long Timer (as it does not know how many digits you
may dial). Whereas if you specify (for the UK national numbers)
9xxxxxxxxxxxS0 it's fires straight out as expected.

Personally I would have expected it to have waited for the Interdigit
Short Timer before taking the S0 instruction - but that's probably down
to my understanding {or lack thereof ;-)} of what is going on.

I meant to follow this up for the archives - so here goes;

Linksys PAP2 users suffering from a 10-15 second delay on dialling out
with Asterisk can cure this problem by checking the Linksys Dialplan is
not making excessive use of the period '.' wildcard. Specify the correct
number of digits with 'x' followed by STRAIGHT OUT (S0) will cure this
behaviour. The dialplan string can be found by logging into the Linksys
as the admin (not user), switch to advanced mode, and select line 1/2 to
suit. It's towards the bottom of the page.

Lowering the Interdigit Long Timer and Interdigit Short Timer setting
can also have an impact on this, but may cause other issues with slow
dialling users.

This may (unchecked) also apply to Linksys IP phones that use the same
firmware/guts ???