[asterisk-users] Mixing commercial/SVN Asterisk

Scott L. Lykens slykens at verimedservices.com
Thu Dec 17 09:47:55 CST 2009

> Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Mixing commercial/SVN Asterisk
>
> On Dec 16, 2009, at 10:08 AM, Richard Kenner wrote:
>
> > Am I correct that if I'm running an -rc or from an SVN release tree
> > that there's no way I can use any commercial add-ons from Digium,
such
> > as Skype, Cepstral, or G.729?
>
> No, happily not correct.  :-)
>
> Digium tries to make their add-ons work with all major releases of
Asterisk.
> You should be able to use all the named proprietary add-ons with 1.4
or 1.6.x
> versions of Asterisk.  SVN TRUNK releases of course are not guaranteed

[snip]

I don't mean to be rude in calling you out about it, however, I've been
waiting for three months for an appearance of Fax for Asterisk that is
compatible with 1.6.1.5+. Several previous requests for timelines to
this list have resulted in responses indicating it was being worked on
that week each time with no further information or public release made.

It is frustrating to me as we are encouraged to upgrade due to security
issues but if we want to use this particular Digium product we cannot. I
have chosen to upgrade as we have not purchased Fax for Asterisk and as
we are unable to evaluate it I doubt we will. (Not to be snarky but I
don't think I'm interested in buying a product that has been
incompatible with its intended companion's official release for nearly
four months now with no public progress on making it compatible,
especially when those releases are suggested to resolve security
issues.)

sl