[asterisk-users] Mixing commercial/SVN Asterisk

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Dec 16 14:56:59 CST 2009

Richard Kenner wrote:

> Well, I tried to use res_cepstral.so for 1.6.0 on the 1.6.2 release branch
> and Asterisk dumped core on startup.  I take it that wasn't expected?

You should not try to mix modules for different major versions of
Asterisk. 1.6.0.x modules should only be used with 1.6.0.x, etc.

While John's previous comments were not incorrect, it is unfortunately
quite common that there are API/ABI changes between major releases that
necessitate different versions of Digium's binary modules to be built.
We don't normally build them in advance of a major release (since the
APIs may not be stable), but once they reach the 'release candidate'
state we start building them and testing them internally. They are then
released in parallel with the actual Asterisk release, so the 1.6.2.x
compatible modules will be released with Asterisk 1.6.2.0.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com