[asterisk-users] Can't get G.729 to work...

Ben Schorr bens at rolandschorr.com
Tue Dec 15 15:03:07 CST 2009

Yes, the routers are another issue we're dealing with.  We've configured
them to prioritize traffic to/from our Asterisk server but I'm not
convinced that setting is really working as expected.  So we're working
with the vendor on that.

The effective bandwidth is 6Mb/sec down x 1.4Mb/sec up (so basically
1.4x1.4 on the VPN).  For 8 users, where rarely more than 2-3 of them
are on the phone at any given time, that should be sufficient I think.

They DO have to share the connection with their web browsing and e-mail
and such but as best we've been able to tell they aren't saturating
their connections - usually not more than 4-5 of the 8 are using their
computers at any given time and most of them just do e-mail and local
apps that shouldn't touch the Internet connection.

Frankly I'm puzzled that they have these issues and the problems rarely
seem to happen when I call them.  I'll go to their site and make a few
calls from one of their phones and it sounds perfect to me.  But three
days later all I hear is how frustrated they are because these new VOIP
phones suck and they can "never" hear anybody and...  <sigh>

Ben M. Schorr
Chief Executive Officer
Roland Schorr & Tower
www.rolandschorr.com