[asterisk-users] max. no. of conferences supported

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 09:34:16 CST 2009

> What are the limits with asterisk server running on one decent (4GB, 4 CPU etc.) machine.

There are a LOT of factors involved.  You will likely have to do your
own testing with just the specific features you want.

> How many MeetMe conferences it can support? What is the limit of number of participants per
> conference?

Are you doing any transcoding?  What technologies are the participants
using (dahdi, sip, iax, etc)?  If you're doing a conference with only
sip participants and no transcoding, on the hardware you mention you
should be able to comfortably host a conference with 100 participants,
possibly more.  I can't help you out with specific numbers, as none of
the systems I administer do conferences larger than this.

As for the number of conferences, I've seen one system with similar
hardware specs regularly host a dozen conferences without issue.  Most
of these conferences have between 5 and 10 participants.

> Is it possible to support 1000 users in Asterisk? What is the kind of hardware needed for this?

Yes, there are a good number of asterisk installations with more than
1000 users.  In a recent interview with Mark Spencer, he mentioned an
installation with 150,000 users.

What kind of hardware all depends on what features/services you want
to provide.  All I can say is that you should pick and choose
features/services carefully if you intend to have a lot of users.  By
default, asterisk will enable everything.  Change it to only enable
what you need.

- Noah