[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6.1.11 Fax

Cyprus VoIP voipcy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 07:19:35 CST 2009

Hello,

We're trying to receive faxes on the Asterisk server, but for the time
being T.38 negotiation fails.

The SDP that the Asterisk reINVITE sends contains these lines:
----------------------
m=image 4968 udptl t38
a=T38FaxVersion:0
a=T38MaxBitRate:9600
a=T38FaxFillBitRemoval
a=T38FaxTranscodingMMR
a=T38FaxTranscodingJBIG
a=T38FaxRateManagement:transferredTCF
a=T38FaxMaxDatagram:1400
a=T38FaxUdpEC:t38UDPRedundancy
----------------------

The MaxDatagram and MaxBitRate are definitely not what they should be,
and maybe other parameters are also wrong. I would like to have 400 and
14400 respectively.

That's the udptl.conf:

----------------------
;
; UDPTL Configuration (UDPTL is one of the transports for T.38)
;
[general]
;
; UDPTL start and UDPTL end configure start and end addresses
;
udptlstart=4000
udptlend=4999
;
; Whether to enable or disable UDP checksums on UDPTL traffic
;
;udptlchecksums=no
;
; The number of error correction entries in a UDPTL packet
;
udptlfecentries = 3
;
; The error correction type to be sent
;
;T38FaxUdpEC = t38UDPFEC
T38FaxUdpEC = t38UDPRedundancy
;
; The maximum length of a UDPTL packet
;
;T38FaxMaxBuffer = 200
T38FaxMaxDatagram = 400
VoipFaxMaxRate = 5

; The span over which parity is calculated for FEC in a UDPTL packet
;
udptlfecspan = 3
;
; Some VoIP providers will only accept an offer with an even-numbered
; UDPTL port. Set this option so that Asterisk will only attempt to use
; even-numbered ports when negotiating T.38. Default is no.
use_even_ports = yes

Can anyone help us identify the problem?

Thanks,

Andreas