[asterisk-users] Can't restart asterisk from script

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Thu Dec 10 01:52:11 CST 2009

2009/12/10 Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>

> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 08:02:22AM +0100, Olivier wrote:
> > 2009/12/9 Michelle Dupuis <support at ocg.ca>
> >
> > > I'm running * 1.4 and can successfully restart asterisk from the
> command
> > > line with:
> > > /usr/sbin/asterisk -r -x "restart gracefully"
> > >
> > > However, I have a cron job that tries to restart asterisk and gets this
> > > error:
> > > No such command 'restart gracefully' (type 'help restart gracefully'
> for
> > > other possible commands)
> > >
> > > Can anyone think of why this is happening?
> > >

> > I've met a situation where a call remained active tough obviously, no one
> > was talking to anyone.
> > This kept gracefully restart from working.
> >
> > So, would a 'restart now' behave differently ?
>
> Why would one want a daily sabotage of the system in the first place?

Reading this thread, I wondered why a gracefully restart wouldn't work in
the first place and focused my modest contribution on this.

You're right that a daily "restart now" in not recommended.
IMHO, for daily maintenance, taking this specific case (a ghost call is
keeping "restart gracefully" from running) into account is necessary.