[asterisk-users] sequential dialing preferences

C. Chad Wallace cwallace at lodgingcompany.com
Tue Dec 8 19:15:54 CST 2009

At 10:38 AM on 06 Dec 2009, Thomas Perron wrote:

> I am trying to use a simple tool in the Dial plan so that if the first
> number does not connect the logic will go to the second and/or third.
>
> Basically, I want the call to ring and connect to the first number
> Then, if it is not answered I want another number to try to get
> connected Then, if second number does not answer I want the third to
> be tried i only list the scenario for the first two numbers
>
> Here is what I have now which works fine for the one and only
> number...........
>
> exten => s,n,Dial(SIP/callwithus/12135551212,120,A(ginger3)) ;
> Service line
>
> so, will this work ........... ???? ..........
>
> exten =>
> s,n,Dial(SIP/callwithus/12135551212[&SIP/callwithus/12145551212],120,A(ginger3)) ;
> Service line
>
> Please send comments to make this work.

It'll work without the square brackets.  The square brackets that are
shown in "core show application Dial" aren't meant to be put in
literally.  They just signify that the stuff inside them is optional.

However, using Dial that way won't do what you're looking for. Instead,
it'll ring both (or all) devices at once, and the first one to answer
will get the call.  The others will just be disconnected.  If you want
it to ring the second number only after the first one didn't work,
you'll have to do that in your dialplan by checking ${DIALSTATUS} after
Dial.

--

C. Chad Wallace, B.Sc.
The Lodging Company