[asterisk-users] E1 Channel Numbering - Your Comments.

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Dec 8 13:01:16 CST 2009

Andrew Latham wrote:

> This is where my query lives...  What if...  Imagine 2+ E1s sharing
> the first E1's D-channel for timing and some manufacturer thought
> about selling some hardware that would allow the use of 32 channels on
> the next E1 and so on.  So something like "dchan=16
> bchan=1-15,17-31,32-63" could happen.

The D-channels are not used for timing, the timing channels are. As far
as I am aware (but my knowledge base is limited) the 32nd channel on an
E1 cannot be used for data transfer under any circumstances.

Please be sure you are not confusing the 32nd channel (used for timing)
with the 16th channel (used as a D-channel for ISDN PRI usage). Asterisk
already supports using all 31 available channels on an E1 as B-channels
if the D-channel signaling is coming from a different span.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com